About Me

My photo
Every day a new person will write about their experiences. Pictures: Visit www.amhsi.org, click on Photo Gallery, then click on Weber Gallery.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Day Seven in Israel Writer:Zev Beeber

Words fall short to describe celebrating my 18th birthday here in Israel. The day began with an early morning wake up and breakfast, followed by an hour-long drive to Beit Shemesh. There, each of us grabbed a shovel and pickaxe, entered a cave, and set off to excavating the area. After a short hour and a half, we had filled up an entire bucket with ancient artifacts, among them an Ottoman pipe and Roman glass. Afterwards, we enjoyed another delicious schnitzel lunch near the ruins of a Roman ampitheater. We then traveled to one of the many caves associated with the Bar Kochba Revolt , in order to conclde our study of the historical period. Like I said before, it is difficult to convey the experience of a birthday in the Holy Land. The best I can do is to say that, as I prepare myself for a night off in Tel Aviv, I recognize just  how fortunate I am to be able to enjoy a trip like this in an independent, free Jewish state. L'shanah ha'baah b'yerushalayim! Next year in Jerusalem!
Zev Beeber a.k.a. The Birthday Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment